Strawberries ‘N Cream Cake Roll
- 3 egg yolks
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 3/4cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2cup all-purpose flour
- 2tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2cups strawberries, sliced
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 2cups whipping cream
- 3tablespoons sugar
- Grease bottom and sides of a 15- x 10- x 1-inch jellyroll pan with vegetable oil; line with wax paper, and grease wax paper with oil. Set pan aside.
- Beat egg yolks in a large bowl at high speed of an electric mixer until thick and lemon colored; stir in vanilla, and set aside.
- Beat egg whites until foamy; add cream of tartar and salt, beating until stiff but not dry. Fold in 3/4 cup powdered sugar. Fold whites into yolk mixture. Gradually fold flour into egg mixture.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Sift 1 to 2 tablespoons powdered sugar in a 15- x 10-inch rectangle on a cloth towel.
- When cake is done, immediately loosen from sides of pan, and turn out onto sugared towel. Peel off wax paper. Starting at narrow end, roll up cake and towel together; let cool completely on a wire rack, seam side down.
- Combine sliced strawberries and 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside.
- Beat whipping cream until foamy; gradually add 3 tablespoons sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Unroll cake. Spread cake with sliced strawberries and half of whipped cream; reroll cake, without towel.
- Place on serving plate, seam side down; spread remaining whipped cream on all sides. Garnish with whole strawberries.