Strawberries with Lavender Syrup
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1/4cup plus 1/2 cup granulated sugar, or less, to taste
- 1teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2cup water
- 2tablespoons agave nectar
- 2teaspoons dried culinary lavender (if you opt for fresh instead of dried, you'll want to double the amount)
- 3 pints strawberries, sliced
- 5 mint leaves, finely minced
- Combine 1/3 cup (65 g) of the sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl. Blend well and either use right away or store in the refrigerator in a covered container.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the remaining 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar, water, agave nectar, and lavender to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the lavender flavor is detectable, about 5 minutes.
- Strain the syrup into a small bowl or store in a container, cover, and let stand at room temperature. Reheat the syrup before using.
- When ready to serve, place the strawberries in a large serving bowl. pour the warmed syrup over the berries and stir to coat. Divide the syrup-covered strawberries among 8 plates or bowls, sprinkle with the lemon sugar and finely minced mint, and serve immediately.
Serving suggestions and variations:
- Strawberries go well with bubbly. Serve on a special occasion with a glass of Champagne and toast to your health.
- Decrease the amount of sugar if it is too sweet for you.
–From the cookbook Color Me Vegan by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, used with permission of the publisher
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 122
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 2 mg
- Carbohydrate 31 g
- Fiber 2 g