- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1large onion, chopped
- 2-- garlic cloves, chopped
- 2-- ribs celery, finely sliced
- 1/4cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2cups chicken stock
- 1 3/4cups milk
- 6ounces Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 3ounces whipping cream
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Saute the onion, garlic and celery in the butter in a saucepan for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour. Add the stock and milk gradually, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. SImmer for 15 minutes. Add the cheese and cream. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in the pepper and nutmeg and remove from the heat. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with chopped celery leaves.
Note: This is an old Scottish family recipe.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Assistance League of the Bay Area’s Settings to Sunset, A Medley of Flavors, Tastes and Styles for the Gulf Coast (Houston, Texas 2007).