Stilton, Port and Walnut Pâté
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 15 mins
Poached pears combined with creamy stilton cheese create a flavourful, mouth-watering addition to your holiday buffet
- 1 small pear (firm but ripe), diced
- 1/3 cup port
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup crumbled stilton
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup toasted and finely chopped California walnuts
- Toasting Walnuts: In large, dry skillet over medium-high heat, toast walnuts, stirring occasionally, until lightly brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Poached Pear: Heat a small heavy bottomed frying pan over medium-high heat. Add pear, port, water and sugar. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium to soften pear, about 10 minutes. Increase to high heat to reduce juices to a syrup, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Stilton/Walnut Mix: In a small bowl add stilton, cream cheese, butter, parsley and lemon juice and mix until well combined. Add walnuts.
- Line a 1 cup (250 mL) ramekin or custard cup with plastic wrap and fill with half of the stilton/walnut mix. Then layer with half of the poached diced pear. Repeat steps with remaining stilton/walnut mix and poached pear.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Remove plastic wrap; slice pâté into wedges and serve.
Tips: Pâté can be prepared a day ahead and stored in the refrigerator.
Serve with crackers, fresh baguette, grapes and/or as part of a cheese tray.