Steak Sandwich with Corn Relish
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3teaspoons ground cumin
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 1teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2teaspoons ground pepper, or to taste
- 1/2teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2pounds top round steak, trimmed
- 8-- crusty sourdough bread rolls
- 3cups Spicy Corn Relish (see recipe)
- To prepare the sandwich: Combine first 6 ingredients in bowl.
- Generously rub both sides of steak with spice mixture. Cover and chill at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
- Grill steak to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Cool 5 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill).
- Cut steak across grain into thin slices.
- Cut rolls in half horizontally and cut out bread centers, leaving 2-inch thick shells.
- Mound sliced steak in each roll.
- Divide relish amond sandwiches.
- Place top of roll over filling; press to compact. (Can be make 1 hour ahead. Wrap in foil; chill.)
- To prepare Spicy Corn Relish: Combine all ingredients in heavy large saucepan.
- Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, simmer until almost all liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.
- Cool completely. Cover and chill.
- Bring to room temperature before using.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior Service League’s West of the Rockies (Grand Junction, Colorado, 1994).