Stacey’s Cuban Black Beans
- 1pound dried black beans, soaked overnight and rinsed clean
- 1 red onion
- Salt, to taste
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 2teaspoon chopped garlic (for minced, use a little less or just crush 2 cloves)
- 2tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2teaspoon red chile pepper
- 1 to 2cup beef or chicken broth
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- 1 to 2teaspoon cumin
- Cover dried beans and red onion in water. Add salt to taste. Bring to a boil and reduce immediately to a low simmer.
- Cook for 45 mins to an hour. Add olive oil, garlic, vinegar, orange juice, lime juice, red chile pepper, and broth. Cook 30-45 minutes.
- Add bay leaves and cumin and simmer another 30 minutes or so, or until beans are tender and thick, but not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- These are even better the next day. If you prefer the taste of cilantro taste to bay leaf, try this trick: At the point of adding the bay leaf, instead take a handful of cilantro (2-3 tablespoons worth) and place in the center of a 4-inch square of cheesecloth. Knot the cloth to completely secure and drop in the simmering pot. As with the bay leaf, simple discard before serving.