St. Patrick’s Day Reuben Casserole
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1head green cabbage, cored and sliced 1/2-inch thick (approximately 8 cups)
- 1medium onion, halved and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch-thick coins
- 1tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2pounds skin-on red bliss potatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 12slices Light Life Fakin Bacon (Smoky Tempeh Strips)
- 1 1/2cups shredded low-fat Swiss cheese
- 3cups canned vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cabbage, onions, carrots and caraway seeds and saute 4 minutes until cabbage wilts. Set aside.
- Arrange half the potatoes in a 9-x-13-x-2-inch baking pan covering the bottom. Layer half the tempeh strips over the potatoes, top with a layer of half the sauteed cabbage mixture. Sprinkle with half the cheese. Repeat layers using the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the broth over all. Cover the pan with foil and bake 45 to 50 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake 10 minutes until top browns lightly. Cool slightly before serving.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 253
- Fat 8g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 7mg
- Sodium 650mg
- Carbohydrate 36g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugars 4g
- Protein 18g