Squash Cornbread Dressing
- Yield 12 servings
Save extra cornbread to mix up in this dressing.
"This recipe from my mother-in-law is more than 55 years old. She lived on a farm and had plenty of vegetables, so she decided to use her yellow squash. My family loves it, and it is very easy to make. Sometimes I make it a week ahead and put it in the freezer."
- 3 large yellow squash, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 cups cornbread crumbs
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sage
- Shredded Parmesan or Colby cheese (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a saucepan, saute onion in one tablespoon butter. Add the rest of the butter, squash, salt, pepper, and enough water to cover and cook until squash is tender.
- Mix squash mixture with cornbread, eggs, and sage.
- Grease a 9-by-12-inch pan. Pour dressing in pan and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake about 25 to 30 minutes.
Recipe by Annie Cox, Terrell, Texas