Squash Chowder with Kale and Corn
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Healthy vegetables are simmered in a combination of apple juice and vegetable broth giving this soup a great flavor!
- 3 cups peeled, diced winter squash (1 1/2 pounds butternut, calabaza or hubbard)
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced apple
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 ear corn, kernels cut from cob, or 1/2 cup frozen
- 1 1/2 cups coarse-chopped kale
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place squash, onions, carrots, celery, apples, apple juice and water or vegetable broth in a large saucepan over high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add corn, kale, salt and pepper and continue to cook 2 minutes. Soup can be served as is or, for a thicker soup, puree 1 1/2 cups of the vegetable mixture in a blender or food processor fitted with the metal blade. Return puree to saucepan.