Fresh Squash Casserole
- Yield 8 servings
Use both yellow squash and zucchini in this easy casserole.
Fresh summer squash is sauteed, bound together by eggs and a splash of cream, seasoned with fresh thyme and baked.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -- garlic clove, chopped
- 2 pounds zucchini, sliced
- 2 pounds yellow squash, sliced
- 3 -- eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup panko
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skilllet. Add onion and garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add zucchini and yellow squash. Cover and cook over medium heat 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. With a slotted spoon, transfer mixture to a buttered 2-quart casserole.
- Combine eggs, half-and-half, salt, pepper and thyme. Pour over squash and mix well.
- Bake 35 minutes. Remove from oven and top with panko and cheese. Place under broiler and broil until brown, about 3 minutes.
Recipe by Liz Shenk.
Note: To slice the yellow squash and zucchini, use the slicing blade of a box grater.