Squash and Crab Soup
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 40 mins
Squash makes a perfect base for sweet lump crabmeat.
This rich, creamy South Carolina-inspired soup is perfect when the squash harvest is in full swing.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 -- carrot, grated
- 1 large onion minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 medium yellow or pattypan squash, grated (about 7 cups)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound crabmeat, shell pieces removed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives, optional
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrot, onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Add pepper flakes and squash and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and mix well. Bring to a simmer. Add crabmeat, and cook over low heat until thoroughly heated.
- Whisk together flour and a little of the milk to make a paste. Add remaining milk and mix well. Add to soup.
- Cook, stirring, until soup thickens, about 10 minutes. Do not boil. Garnish with chives to serve. Makes 10 cups.