Spring Vegetable Escabche
- Yield: 8 servings
Serve these vegetables over a bed of mixed greens or with focaccia.
- Vinegar Marinade:
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1medium onion, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rings
- 1medium carrot, sliced 1/-inch thick
- 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, seeded and dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 to 8 sprigs fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2cup red or white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2cups water or white wine
- Escabeche Vegetables:
- pinch salt
- 2cups broccoli florets
- 2cups cauliflower florets
- 1cup sugar snap or snow peas
- 1medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch thick rings
- 1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm, drained well
- To make marinade: Heat oil in a nonreactive skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic, onions, carrots, jalapenos and bay leaves 2 minutes. Do not let them brown. Add oregano, vinegar and wine or water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, then remove from heat. Set aside.
- To make vegetables: In a large pot, bring 2 quarts water to a boil with a good pinch of salt. Put all vegetables except hearts of palm in boiling water to blanch 1 minute. Drain in a colander, rinse in cold water and place in a large nonreactive bowl. Add hearts of palm.
- Pour warm marinade over all and allow to cool to room temperature. Serve vegetables now or chill overnight.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 58
- Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 130mg
- Carbohydrate 9g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 3g