Spring Sesame Ginger Asparagus Stir-Fry
- Yield 4 servings
Add 1 pound cubed firm tofu as you stir-fry the asparagus to make this a protein-filled main dish.
- Sesame Stir Fry Sauce:
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- Stir-Fried Vegetables:
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 bundles medium-thick asparagus, stem ends trimmed, spears cut into 2-inch lengths on the diagonal (about 30 asparagus)
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 8 scallions, sliced into 2-inch lengths
- To make sauce: Dissolve the cornstarch in the water or broth. Add remaining ingredients and whisk to combine.
- To make vegetables: Heat oil over high heat in a large saute pan or wok. Add asparagus, red peppers and scallions. Stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes. Add sauce and continue to stir-fry 4 minutes until asparagus is crisp-tender and a sauce forms and thickens in pan.