Spring Risotto and Risotto Cakes
- Yield 4 servings
Creamy risotto takes perfectly to spring product like peas, asparagus and arugula.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup minced onion, shallots or green onion
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, heated
- 1 1/2 cups fresh green peas, asparagus tips, arugula or spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup light cream, heated
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Lemon wedges
- Heat butter in a large saucepan. Add onion; cook 3 minutes. Stir in rice and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- Add wine and salt; cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed. Continue cooking and stirring, adding 1/2 cup broth at a time and making sure most of the liquid is absorbed before adding more. With the second to last addition of broth, add peas. (Total cooking time is about 20 minutes.) After all broth has been added, stir in cream and cheese.
- Make a double batch and refrigerate leftovers overnight. Form patties using about 1/4 cup leftover risotto per patty. Dredge in flour or cornflakes. Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add patties and cook on both sides until crispy.
- If you like, add shredded basil or crumbled feta cheese to the leftover risotto before forming patties.