Spring Miso Soup
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 (1-inch) piece dried wakame
- 8 thin slices lotus root
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated*
- 1/4cup firm tofu cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1tablespoon red or white miso
- 3whole green leaves sugh as bok choy, swiss chard or kale, thinly sliced
- Bring water or broth to a boil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Remove from heat, add wakame and let soak 15 minutes. Remove and slice wakame; return to broth and return to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add lotus root, shiitake mushrooms and tofu. Simmer 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, dissolve miso in 1/2 cup hot broth from the pan. Return the dissolved miso and liquid to the pan. Add the greens and simmer very gently 2 minutes. Serve very hot.
- *To rehydrate, soak the mushrooms in boiling water 15 minutes, drain, remove and discard stems and slice caps.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 39
- Fat .92g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 175mg
- Carbohydrate 6g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 2g