Spring Fried Rice
- Yield 6 servings
Make the rice a day or two ahead, them toss together with spring vegetables and Asian seasonings.
- Spring Vegetables:
- -- Water
- pinch salt
- 2 cups snow or sugar snap peas, left whole
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup thin-sliced-on-the-bias carrots
- 1 cup thin-sliced-zucchini rounds
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper (1/2-inch squares)
- Fried Rice:
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 3 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 1 pound firm tofu, chopped
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- To make brown rice: Bring water or broth and salt to a boil in a pot that has a tight-fitting lid. Add rice, return to a boil, cover tightly and simmer approximately 40 minutes until tender and all liquid is absorbed. Cool slightly and spread on a baking dish to cool.
- To make vegetables: Bring a 31/2-quart saucepan of water to a boil with a pinch of salt. Dip vegetables in water 1 minute. Drain and rinse immediately in ice water to cool down. Set aside.
- To make Fried Rice: Heat both oils in a large nonstick saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and red chili flakes. Saute 1 minute. Add tofu and Spring Vegetables. Saute 30 seconds. In a large bowl, fold vegetables and tofu into cooked rice; add soy sauce. Serve or pack for storage.
- To store, pack individual portions into zip-seal bags or freezer containers. Refrigerate until chilled, then freeze. Remove a portion when needed and reheat.