Spring Couscous with Asparagus and Mandarin Oranges
- Yield 4 servings
The combination of crisp green asparagus tips, peas and comforting couscous makes a wonderful entree or room-temperature salad.
If desired, add 1 pound diced tofu, cooked shrimp or chicken to the couscous.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 3 teaspoons pure olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger root
- 1 cup couscous
- 16 to 18 asparagus, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 (15-ounce) can Mandarin oranges, drained
- 4 scallions, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted* walnuts
- In a nonreactive saucepan, bring orange juice, water, 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and gingerroot to a boil over high heat. Place couscous in a large nonreactive bowl and pour orange juice mixture over. Cover tightly and allow to stand 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet and saute the asparagus 2 minutes. Add the red peppers and peas; saute 1 minute. Add to the couscous along with the oranges, scallions, 1 teaspoon salt, cayenne pepper and nuts; combine well. Serve warm or at room temperature.