Split Pea Coconut Stew
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 45 mins
Similar to Indian dal, this stew is rich and spiced with curry.
Though it’s not strictly necessary, soaking helps the split peas cook more evenly and shortens cooking time. If you want more heat, increase the curry paste.
- 2 cups green or yellow split peas, rinsed and soaked in cold water 2 to 3 hours
- 1 -- (14-ounce) can light unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup finely sliced cilantro stems
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 cups chopped red potato, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 to 2 -- limes, cut into wedges
- Drain peas, place in a large saucepan and add 4 cups cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Peas should be whole, but tender.
- Combine coconut milk, onion, ginger, cilantro stems, curry paste and celery in a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add carrots and potatoes; simmer until potatoes are almost tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add peas, fish sauce and salt. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in cilantro leaves. Serve with lime wedges
Recipe by Nancy Krcek Allen.