Split Pea and Ham Soup
- Yield 10 servings
Barbecue sauce provides a sweet note to this split pea soup. For a vegetarian version, omit the ham.
Inspired by a soup in Soup Makes the Meal by Ken Haedrick, this split pea soup is cooked with a meaty ham bone.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 -- carrots, chopped
- 3 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound green split peas
- 10 cups water
- 1 -- ham bone or ham hocks
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce or sherry
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Saute 5 minutes. Add split peas, water and ham bone. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Add potatoes; simmer another 30 minutes.
- Remove ham bone from soup, pull meat off bone and set aside. Discard bone.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup. Add meat and barbecue sauce. Serve with crushed pita or corn chips.