Splish Splash Pepper-Roasted Cauliflower
- Yield 2-4 servings
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into smallish, evenly sized florets
- 1 medium jalapeno, finely chopped (optional; taste for heat level before using!)
- Pepper-flavored vodka
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and place a rack in the middle. In a large bowl, stir together the soy sauce, sherry, oil, pepper, and sugar. Add the cauliflower florets and toss to coat. Let the cauliflower marinate for 20 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- On a large, parchment-lined baking sheet, arrange the cauliflower in a single layer. Sprinkle the optional jalapeño over the cauliflower before roasting (or after roasting, if you don’t mind the crunch). Roast until tender and slightly blackened, about 20 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature, splashed lightly with the vodka.
–From the book The Tipsy Vegan, by John Schlimm. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2011.