Spinach Dip with Peppery Cheese
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 3 mins
- Cook: 3 mins
This Indian-inspired creamed spinach is great as a dip or side to roast chicken or pork. For a less spicy flavor, use plain jack cheese.
- 1 1/2tablespoons olive oil
- 1tablespoon peeled, chopped fresh ginger
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon garam masala or curry powder
- 1pound fresh spinach leaves, washed and finely chopped, or 1 (16-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 3ounces Monterrey Jack pepper cheese, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ginger and spices and cook, stirring, about 30 seconds or until mixture is fragrant and begins to bubble.
- Add spinach and cook about 2 minutes over medium-high heat or until wilted and tender. Reduce heat. Add salt and cheese and stir until cheese melts and mixture is creamy. Serve hot with pita bread.
Recipe by Cheryl Forberg, R.D.