- Yield 8 to 10 servings
When raising my five kids, we enjoyed trips to the Parthenon Greek restaurant in Chicago. I tried to duplicate these favorites at home.
- 8 ounces frozen phyllo dough
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Thaw phyllo dough according to package instructions. Brush a layer of melted butter in a 13-by-9-inch pan. Alternate layers of phyllo dough sheets (dough sheets should slightly overlap to completely cover the bottom of the pan) and melted butter until half the dough and butter are used.
- Saute onion in olive oil. Squeeze excess liquid from spinach and stir in with onions. Add Feta cheese, oregano, salt and pepper to the spinach mixture. Spread mixture evenly over the prepared phyllo dough sheets. Layer remaining dough sheets and butter over spinach mixture. Bake 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly and cut into triangles.
—Marsha McCloskey, Long Beach, IN