- Yield 3 to 4 servings
Tofu is marinated then baked with a topping of savory sautéed spinach and mushrooms.
- Spinach Topping:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 (16-ounce) bag frozen chopped spinach
- 1/2 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Tofu Planks
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin*
- 1 pound firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- To make topping: In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and celery; saute 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, and rosemary and saute 1 minute longer. Add spinach and saute 3 minutes or until all vegetables are cooked through. Season with soy sauce, pepper, and nutmeg. Add 1/4 cup breadcrumbs and cheese; stir to combine. Cool, allowing breadcrumbs to absorb any excess moisture (the mixture should be able to be scooped with a spoon or ice scoop – if it’s too soggy, add more breadcrumbs). The stuffing can be stored refrigerated for up to 4 days.
- To make tofu: Combine soy sauce, rice vinegar and mirin and brush on tofu slices. Place about 2 to 3 tablespoons topping on each tofu slice, patting it down and spreading the mound of topping to cover the surface of each slice. Arrange the tofu slices in a single layer on baking sheets lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Bake at 375 degrees 25 minutes or until topping is lightly browned and heated through.
- * Available in Asian stores and natural food stores.
**Cut into slices the long way (not across the short end).