Spinach Salad with Mandarin Orange Dressing
- Yield 6 servings
Brown sugar and balsamic vinegar give this salad a spicy, sweet-tart kick.
- 1 -- (12-ounce) bag fresh spinach, washed, stemmed, and torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 -- (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 ounces shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- 1 -- (11-ounce) can mandarin orange slices, drained
- Combine the spinach, green onions, water chestnuts and Monterey Jack cheese. Toss well and set aside.
- Combine the brown sugar; chicken broth, vinegar and hot sauce in a small saucepan. Stir well and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the mandarin orange slices. Pour the mandarin mixture over the spinach mixture. Toss gently. Serve immediately.