Spinach Rice with Cheddar and Pimiento
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
'This has been a regular on my table for more than 30 years. It is a particular favorite because not only is it delicious and a perfect accompaniment to turkey, but it is colorful as well.'
- 3tablespoons butter
- 3cups cooked rice
- 1/2cup chopped green onions
- 1/4cup sliced almonds
- 2 (10-ounce) cans condensed chicken broth
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed, undrained
- 2cups shredded Cheddar
- 1/2cup chopped pimientos, drained
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add rice, green onions and almonds and cook until the onions are tender, about 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add broth and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and pimientos. Spoon into a serving dish.
Marie Pantalone, Fairfax, Va.