Spinach Pesto Cheese Ball
- Yield: 10 to 12 servings
You can double or triple the recipe and store the extra cheese balls in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic until ready for use. They will keep a week in the refrigerator. Serve with crackers, flat bread, crudites or crostini.
- 1/2cup pine nuts
- 1cup frozen chopped spinach
- 1cup loose-packed fresh basil leaves, trimmed
- 4ounces parmesan cheese, shredded (1 cup) plus 2 tablespoons, for garnish
- 2ounces (1/2 cup) Italian shredded cheese blend
- 1 (8-ounce) package low-fat cream cheese or neufchatel, softened
- 1teaspoon minced garlic
- Freshly ground black pepepr
- 1/2cup chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Place pine nuts on a baking dish and toast in oven 6 to 8 minutes until golden brown. Remove to a plate and let cool.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the chopped spinach and basil leaves and cook 3 minutes until defrosted and tender or place in a microwave-safe dish, lightly cover with plastic wrap and cook on high 2 minutes until defrosted and tender.
- Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water. Press to extract excess moisture.
- Place spinach, basil, 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded cheese blend, cream cheese, garlic and pepper in a food processor fitted with the metal blade or blender and process or blend until smooth. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Combine 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese, parsley and pine nuts on a plate. Moisten your hands with water and roll cheese mixture into a ball. Roll in nut mixture to coat.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 143
- Fat 11g
- Saturated Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 19mg
- Sodium 303mg
- Carbohydrate 3g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugars .5g
- Protein 10g