Spinach on Artichoke Bottoms with Hollandaise
- Yield: 14 to 20 pieces
- 2-- (10-ounce) packages frozen spinach
- 1/2pound fresh mushrooms
- 6tablespoons butter, melted
- 1tablespoon flour
- 1/2cup milk
- 1/8teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 14 to 20-- artichoke bottoms
- Sour Cream Hollandaise Sauce:
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 1/2cup mayonnaise
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- Cook spinach according to directions and drain. Reserve one mushroom cap for each artichoke bottom. Chop remaining mushroom caps and stems. Saute caps and stems in 2 tablespoons butter. Saute reserved mushroom caps separately in 2 tablespoons butter. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan. Add flour and blend; then add the milk and cook until bubbly. Add seasonings, then the chopped mushrooms and spinach. Drain the artichoke bottoms, cover with a mound of creamed spinach, and then with a generous spoonful of Hollandaise sauce. Top with a whole mushroom cap. This dish may be prepared a day in advance and heated in a 375F oven for 15 minutes before serving.
- To prepare the sour cream hollandaise. Blend all ingredients and heat slowly.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Tulsa’s Cook’s Collage(Tulsa, Oklahoma, 1978).