Spinach Mushroom Polenta Casserole
- Yield: 10 servings
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 12ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 Vidalia onion, diced
- 8ounces fresh baby spoon spinach
- 1teaspoon thyme
- 1/4teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1tablespoon flour
- 3/4cup vegetable broth
- 1/2cup cream
- 1 (8-ounce) tube prepared polenta, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1/2cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/2cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally until lightly browned. Add onion and cook over medium heat until translucent. Stir spinach, thyme, nutmeg, salt and black pepper. Cook until spinach wilts.
- Spread mixture evenly over bottom of a 2-quart casserole.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour, and cook over medium-high heat. Add broth and cream and whisk until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper and pour over spinach.
- Arrange polenta slices on top of spinach and sauce in overlapping concentric circles, pressing to submerge polenta slightly. Sprinkle shredded cheeses over polenta. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and preheat broiler.
- Uncover polenta and broil 6 inches from heat about 2 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Vienneau and Third Thursday Potluck