- Yield 6 servings
This versatile spinach dish is great served as a side or as a hot spinach dip.
- 2 packages frozen chopped spinach
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup spinach liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -- (6-ounce) roll Jalapeno cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- -- Red pepper to taste
- Cook spinach according to directions on package. Drain and reserve liquid. Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Add flour stirring until blended and smooth but not brown. Add onion and cook until soft but not brown. Add spinach liquid and milk slowly, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Cook until smooth and thick, continue stirring. Add seasoning and cheese which has been cut into small pieces; stir until melted. Combine with cooked spinach. Put into a casserole topped with buttered breadcrumbs. The flavor improves if the latter is done and kept in the refrigerator overnight. This may also be frozen. Cook in a 350F oven until hot and bubbly.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Little Rock’s Little Rock Cooks (Little Rock, Arkansas 1972).