Spinach Lime Pilaf
- Yield 4 servings
A pale green beauty, this rice pilaf is heady with the scent of lime.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 branches fresh thyme, leaves removed, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 1/2 cups raw basmati rice
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Heat the oil in a nonreactive heavy saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add the onions and thyme and saute 3 minutes until slightly softened. Add the rice, stir to coat with the oil. Add the lime juice and broth or water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer 25 minutes until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Transfer the rice to a bowl and fold in the lime zest, spinach, scallions and salt.