- Yield: 2 pieces
- Cook: 15-20
- whole wheat pizza dough (enough for two large calzones)
- 325grams spinach, chopped
- 1 small onion
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- freshly ground nutmeg
- 100grams extra firm tofu, grated
- 100grams low-fat mozzarella, grated
- 1cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 500F
- In a non-stick skillet, cook onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until translucent. Lower heat, add spinach and stir until spinach is completely wilted, about 1 minute. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add cottage cheese, tofu, mozzarella, egg and nutmeg and mix until well combined.
- Remove excess liquid from spinach and fold into cheese mixture. Mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Divide dough ball in 2 equal pieces and roll or stretch each piece into a 6-8 inch disc. I like to use cornmeal when rolling and stretching my dough as it tends to get trapped into the dough and adds a nice little crunch.
- Mound half of the spinach mixture on the center of each of the discs. Flatten it just a bit with a spoon, bringing the mixture more towards one side of the disc.
- Fold the dough back onto itself and press lightly on the calzone to form a half moon.
- Fold the edges, twice if possible, to seal in the filling.
- Transfer to a pizza pan or cookie sheet and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the crust turns crispy, nice and golden brown.
- Serve however, wherever and whenever you prefer!
Source: This recipe courtesy of Sonia at thehealthyfoodie.net. A 38-year-old from Québec, Canada, Sonia is a single mother of two grown children who has recently turned her life around and embraced a healthy lifestyle and cleaned up her diet. Read more of her recipes at The Healthy Foodie.