Spinach Cakes with Rosemary and Garlic
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 (10-ounce) bag fresh spinach or 1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 8ounces all-purpose potatoes, peeled (about 4 medium)
- 1tablespoon pure olive oil
- 1cup diced onions
- 2teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2cups unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1/4teaspoon coarse salt
- 1teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- pinch white pepper
- If using fresh spinach, wash the leaves and place in a large pot over high heat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until leaves are wilted, about 3 minutes, drain and chop coarsely. If using frozen spinach, place in a strainer and squeeze to remove excess water.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large pot of water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook 15 minutes or until almost tender. Drain; set aside. When cool enough to handle, grate potatoes or put through a ricer. In a large bowl, combine spinach and potatoes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; saute 3 to 5 minutes or until light brown and softened. Cool slightly and add to spinach mixture. Add bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, egg white and seasonings; combine well.
- Use 1/4 cup of the mixture to form a small patty that is 1 inch thick; place on a plate. Repeat until all mixture is used.
- Wipe out skillet and return skillet to medium heat. Brush with additional pure olive oil and place patties in pan without crowding. Cook 5 to 6 minutes until crust forms; turn over and cook another 5 to 6 minutes, making sure center is heated through. Repeat until all patties are cooked.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 274
- Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 3mg
- Sodium 535mg
- Carbohydrate 46g
- Protein 10g