Spinach Bread Pudding
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1-- (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 3/4cup chopped onion
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1-- garlic clove, minced
- 1tablespoon rosemary
- 6-- eggs
- 1cup milk
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1cup (4-ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4cups (3/4-inch pieces) French bread
- 1/2cup (2-ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- Thaw the spinach and squeeze dry. Saute the onion in the hot olive oil in a skillet until soft. Add the garlic and rosemary and saute until the garlic is golden brown. Beat the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the spinach, onion mixture, Monterey Jack cheese and bread. Let stand until the bread soaks up the liquid. Pour into a 9×13-inch ceramic or glass baking dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375F for 20 to 25 minutes or until brown, puffy and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Assistance League of the Bay Area’s Settings to Sunset, A Medley of Flavors, Tastes and Styles for the Gulf Coast (Houston, Texas 2007).