Spinach Bread Pudding
- Yield 6 servings
This is a perfect side dish to serve to company.
- 1 -- (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -- garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 6 -- eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 cup (4-ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 cups (3/4-inch pieces) French bread
- 1/2 cup (2-ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- Thaw the spinach and squeeze dry. Saute the onion in the hot olive oil in a skillet until soft. Add the garlic and rosemary and saute until the garlic is golden brown. Beat the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the spinach, onion mixture, Monterey Jack cheese and bread. Let stand until the bread soaks up the liquid. Pour into a 9×13-inch ceramic or glass baking dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375F for 20 to 25 minutes or until brown, puffy and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Assistance League of the Bay Area’s Settings to Sunset, A Medley of Flavors, Tastes and Styles for the Gulf Coast (Houston, Texas 2007).