Spinach and Tomato Crustless Quiche
- Yield 6 servings
Skip the crust for a lower-calorie quiche.
- 1 -- onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 -- (12-ounce) container low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 -- (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained very well.
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 -- Roma (plum) tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a large skillet with nonsitck cooking spray. Over medium-high heat, saute the onion, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and basil. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the cottage cheese with the egg and egg whites. Add to the onion mixture. Mix in the spinach and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Spoon into a 9-inch pie plate coated with nonstick cooking spray. Smooth the top and bake, uncovered, 25 minutes. Remove from oven and arrange the tomatoes in an overlapping circle on top of the quiche. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.