Spinach and Prosciutto Frittata
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3-4tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1pound spinach leaves, washed and dried
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- freshly ground nutmeg
- 4ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 4slices Parma or other air-dried ham, halved into long strips
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a 9-inch nonstick frying pan with a heatproof handle over high heat, add half the garlic, and, once it is sizzling and fragrant, add about a quarter of the spinach. Toss until this collapses a little then add another quarter of spinach. Season and cook until it has wilted.
- Transfer the spinach to a sieve and press out as much of the liquid as possible, then transfer it to a bowl and prepare the remaining spinach in the same fashion.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl with a little nutmeg, add the spinach and a little more seasoning, and stir to amalgamate everything.
- Preheat the broiler on high, and return the same frying pan in which you cooked the spinach to medium heat. It may already be coated in oil from cooking the spinach, but if not add a tablespoon to the pan, pour in the spinach mixture, and cook for 3 minutes.
- In the meantime, dot with the cream cheese, then drape
with the slices of prosciutto and gently press down to level the cream cheese underneath a little.
- Drizzle with a tablespoon of oil and place the pan under the
broiler for 3–4 minutes. Serve the frittata hot or at room temperature.
Recipe from Low Carb Revolution: Comfort Eating for Good Health by Annie Bell (Kyle Book, 2015)
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Carbohydrate 3.9 g
- Protein 17 g