Spinach and Potato Dumplings with Lemon Marmalade
- Yield 4 servings
These dumplings are stuffed with a spinach and potato mixture then served on top of a zesty lemon marmalade.
- Dough Circles:
- 1 -- egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 3/4 cups plus as needed all -purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- Spinach and Potato Filling:
- 1 1/4 pounds Idaho yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into 8 pieces each
- 4 cups water, cold
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -- white onion, small dice
- 8 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 1/2 pounds zucchini, grated
- 5 ounces Feta cheese, crumbled
- To Serve:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Lemon marmalade
- 4 tablespoons dill, chopped
- To make the Dough Circles: Combine egg and sour cream in a small mixing bowl and reserve. Place flour and salt in bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Set to low speed, add butter cubes, individually, until small clumps begin to form, approximately 2 minutes. Stop mixer. Add egg and sour cream mixture. Set mixer to low speed and combine dough until crumbly and just incorporated. Transfer dough to a clean work surface and knead into a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch round, cut to circles. Reserve, refrigerated.
- To make the Spinach and Potato Filling: Place potatoes, water and 1 teaspoon salt in a small saucepot over high heat. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes, or until potatoes are very tender. Drain. Cool slightly, then grate using large holes of box grater. Reserve.
- In large saute pan over medium-high heat, brown onions in olive oil, stirring frequently, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add zucchini and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir and saute for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into colander. Drain and cool for 30 minutes, applying occasional pressure with hands. Transfer to mixing bowl. Add potato, Feta cheese and remaining salt. Mix gently to combine. Reserve.
- Place level tablespoon of spinach and potato filling into center of each dough circle. Fold dough into half-moon shape and, using finger, press edges together firmly to seal. Gently transfer to boiling water for 3 minutes, then remove from pot.
- Melt butter in a large saute pan until frothy. Using a slotted spoon, add dumplings in a single layer. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until light golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Spread 1/4 cup sour cream and 1/4 cup marmalade across center of each serving plate. Top with 6 dumplings, garnish with dill and serve.