Spinach and Potato Cakes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 6 to 8medium potatoes, peeled (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1medium onion
- 3 eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, mined
- 2cups chopped fresh spinach or 1 cup defrosted frozen spinach, drained well
- 1/2 to 3/4cup matzo meal
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3tablespoons canola or olive oil
- Grate potatoes and onions into a colander. Add 2 eggs and combine with the grated potato mixture. Add garlic and spinach. Mix well and press out excess liquid through the colander.
- Transfer the potato mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining egg, the matzo meal and seasonings. Combine well with your hands. If the mixture looks a little loose, add more meal. Allow the pancake mixture to rest 5 minutes while you heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add large spoonfuls of the pancake mixture and press down gently with the back of the spoon to form 1/2-inch-thick pancakes about 3 inches in diameter. Cook 5 minutes until golden brown, turn pancakes and repeat the process until both sides are cooked through. If the pancakes are still a bit undercooked, put them on a baking pan for an additional 5 to 8 minutes in a 375F degree oven.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 298
- Fat 10g
- Cholesterol 93mg
- Sodium 44mg
- Carbohydrate 47g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 8g