Spicy White Bean Chili
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
This tastes even better the next day!
- 2 medium white onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 3 cans (16 ounce) Great Northern beans, drained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (4 ounce) chopped green chiles, drained
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Saute the onions and garlic in the oil in a stockpot until the onions are tender. Add the chicken, beans, broth, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, cloves and paprika and mix well. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Ladle into soup bowls. Sprinkle with the cheese.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Bristol, TN/VA, Start Your Ovens, Cooking the Way it Ought'a Be from the Junior Leage of Bristol (The Junior Leage of Bristol, TN/VA 2001)