Spicy Udon Noodles with Shrimp
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 7 mins
Shrimp, ginger, orange and herbs—luxurious spa cuisine.
This recipe, an instant hit with Lake Austin Spa Resort guests and staff alike, has just enough heat to get your attention. It is a multicolored and many-textured mosaic of quickly cooked fresh vegetables doused in a pungent Asian sauce before being tossed with fresh herbs, chewy noodles and crunchy toasted peanuts.
- Grated rind and juice of 1 orange or tangerine
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Asian chile paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 6 cups mixed cut raw stir-fry vegetables (broccoli, bok choy, green onion, red bell pepper)
- 8 ounces shrimp, peeled
- 3 cups cooked udon noodles
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leave
- 2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- Combine orange rind and juice, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, chile paste, sugar and vinegar in a bowl; set aside.
- Combine sesame oil and canola oil in a skillet; heat over high heat. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry until they begin to color. Add mixed vegetables and shrimp and continue cooking 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add noodles and reserved sauce. Cook 1 minute. Add basil, mint and cilantro; toss to mix. Serve hot; garnish with peanuts.
Recipe by Terry Conlan