Spicy Turkey Kabobs
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2cup uncooked bulgur
- 1 1/2cups boiling water
- 1 1/4pounds lean ground turkey (7 percent fat)
- 1/2cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 2teaspoons ground cumin
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2teaspoon ground mustard
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 skewers (6 inches each)
- Place bulgur and water in a small bowl and soak for 30 minutes. Place the remaining kabob ingredients in a large bowl; mix well. Drain the bulgur in a sieve to remove excess liquid. Add to the turkey mixture and mix. (There will be about 3 cups of mixture.) Form into 36 1 1⁄2-inch meatballs.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Thread 3 meatballs per skewer, leaving about 1⁄2′ between each meatball. Place skewers on nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until no longer pink. To serve, place 2 skewers on each plate. Serve with cucumber and tomato and hummus.
Got leftovers? Try a kabob sandwich: Place 3 meatballs in a small whole wheat pita with shredded lettuce and tomato slices.
—Adapted from Prevention Positively Ageless A 28-Day Plan for a Younger Slimmer, Sexier You © 2007 by Cheryl Forberg. Permission granted by Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 2=180
- Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 55mg
- Sodium 460mg
- Carbohydrate 11g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 20g