Spicy Thai Basil and Lime Marinated Jumbo Shrimp
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 5 mins
- 24 jumbo tiger shrimp (about 10 per pound)
- 1/4cup fish sauce
- 1/4cup fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1/3cup palm sugar or granulated sugar
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1large garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/4cup packed fresh Thai basil, mint or cilantro leaves, minced
- 1 to 2 Thai chilies, stemmed, seeded and minced
- Using a paring knife, cut through back shell of each shrimp. Remove dark vein. Run your forefinger between shell and flesh of each shrimp, separating but not removing shell from flesh.
- In a large bowl, combine fish sauce, lime juice and sugar; whisk until sugar is dissolved. Add oil, garlic, basil and chili. If you wish, pour marinade in a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Place shrimp and marinade in a large zip-top plastic bag. Squeeze out air, seal, and shake to coat shrimp evenly. Refrigerate for 4 hours, turning bag every 30 minutes.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill to high. Grill shrimp, turning frequently, until evenly pink and golden on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes.
Reprinted with permission from Corinne Trang’s The Asian Grill (Chronicle Books, 2006).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Glycemic Load 11.42
- Calories 140
- Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 2.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 55mg
- Sodium 1650mg
- Potassium 170mg
- Carbohydrate 21g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugars 18g
- Protein 7g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 8%
- Vitamin C 50%
- Calcium 4%
- Iron 2%