Spicy Thai Basil and Lime Marinated Jumbo Shrimp
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 5 mins
Unforgettable Thai flavors for grilled shrimp.
- 24 jumbo tiger shrimp (about 10 per pound)
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1/3 cup palm sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/4 cup packed fresh Thai basil, mint or cilantro leaves, minced
- 1 to 2 Thai chilies, stemmed, seeded and minced
- Using a paring knife, cut through back shell of each shrimp. Remove dark vein. Run your forefinger between shell and flesh of each shrimp, separating but not removing shell from flesh.
- In a large bowl, combine fish sauce, lime juice and sugar; whisk until sugar is dissolved. Add oil, garlic, basil and chili. If you wish, pour marinade in a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Place shrimp and marinade in a large zip-top plastic bag. Squeeze out air, seal, and shake to coat shrimp evenly. Refrigerate for 4 hours, turning bag every 30 minutes.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill to high. Grill shrimp, turning frequently, until evenly pink and golden on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes.
Reprinted with permission from Corinne Trang’s The Asian Grill (Chronicle Books, 2006).