Spicy Southern-Style Kohlrabi with Beans
- Yield 4 servings
Kohlrabi is a pale green bulb that’s sold in bunches. Sauteed with beans, it’s perfect over basmati or jasmine rice.
- 2 teaspoons olive or corn oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 small kohlrabi bulbs (about 1 1/2 pounds total), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 (16-ounce) can navy beans or pea beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Heat oil in a nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and saute 2 minutes. Add kohlrabi and continue to saute 1 minute.
- Add garlic and jalapenos; saute 1 minute longer. Add tomato juice, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add beans and thyme sprigs; continue to simmer 10 minutes or until kohlrabi is tender and the tomato juice reduced and thickened to form a sauce. Add vinegar and stir to combine.