Spicy Southern-Style Kohlrabi with Beans
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2teaspoons olive or corn oil
- 1cup chopped onions
- 4small kohlrabi bulbs (about 1 1/2 pounds total), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1cup tomato juice
- 1 (16-ounce) can navy beans or pea beans, drained and rinsed
- 3sprigs fresh thyme
- 1teaspoon cider vinegar
- Heat oil in a nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and saute 2 minutes. Add kohlrabi and continue to saute 1 minute.
- Add garlic and jalapenos; saute 1 minute longer. Add tomato juice, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add beans and thyme sprigs; continue to simmer 10 minutes or until kohlrabi is tender and the tomato juice reduced and thickened to form a sauce. Add vinegar and stir to combine.