Spicy Shrimp Gazpacho
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
This refreshing summer shrimp soup is loaded with tomatoes and peppers.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cubed white bread
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 1/2 cups tomato juice, divided
- 2 pounds tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 -- green bell pepper, diced
- 1 -- red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup green onions, minced
- 1 -- cucumber, peeled, seeded, and minced
- 1/3 cup red onion, minced
- 1/2 to 1 cup ice water
- 1/2 pound fresh shrimp, boiled, peeled, deveined, and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- dash Tabasco sauce
- -- Salt
- -- Freshly ground pepper
- -- Croutons
- Make a paste with salt and garlic, rubbing the flat side of a knife back and forth over ingredients. Combine paste, bread, vinegars, olive oil, cumin, and 1 cup tomato juice in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add tomatoes, bell peppers, green onions, cucumber and red onion. Stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups tomato juice and chill 3 hours. Thin soup with ice water to desired consistency. Add shrimp, parsley, and Tabasco. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with croutons.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Houston’s Stop and Smell the Rosemary (Junior League of Houston Inc., 1996).