Spicy Shrimp and Rice
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 20 mins
Cayenne pepper adds a kick to this dish.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 -- green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 -- red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 3 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -- bay leaf, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 20 to 24 large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/2 -- (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- To prepare the rice. Heat olive oil in large, nonstick skillet. Add peppers; cook until limp. Add rice; saute until rice begins to brown. Add 3 1/3 cups hot water and salt; stir until mixed. Cover; cook over low heat until done, about 15 minutes.
- To prepare shrimp. Melt butter in large skillet. Add shallots, rosemary, oregano, bay leaf, thyme, cayenne, salt and pepper. Cook until well blended. Add shrimp, clam juice and wine; cook, shaking pan, until shrimp turn pink, about 3 minutes. Serve over rice.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Tampa, Inc.’s Tampa Treasures (Tampa, Fl., 1992).