Spicy Shrimp and Rice
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 1/2-- green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2-- red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2cups rice
- 3 1/2cups hot water
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1stick butter or margarine
- 2tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1sprig fresh rosemary (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-- bay leaf, crushed
- 1/2teaspoon thyme
- 1teaspoon cayenne pepper
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 20 to 24large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/2-- (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1/4cup dry white wine
- To prepare the rice. Heat olive oil in large, nonstick skillet. Add peppers; cook until limp. Add rice; saute until rice begins to brown. Add 3 1/3 cups hot water and salt; stir until mixed. Cover; cook over low heat until done, about 15 minutes.
- To prepare shrimp. Melt butter in large skillet. Add shallots, rosemary, oregano, bay leaf, thyme, cayenne, salt and pepper. Cook until well blended. Add shrimp, clam juice and wine; cook, shaking pan, until shrimp turn pink, about 3 minutes. Serve over rice.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Tampa, Inc.’s Tampa Treasures (Tampa, Fl., 1992).