- Asian Marinade:
- 2tablespoons tamari or soy sauce, plus more for serving
- 2teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2teaspoons minced ginger root
- teaspoon red chili paste with garlic*
- 1teaspoon rice vinegar
- Sesame Crust:
- 2tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1tablespoon black sesame seeds*
- 2teaspoons Cajun Spice
- Tofu Steaks:
- 1pound firm tofu, cut from the small side into 6 pieces
- 1tablespoon peanut or canola oil, for searing
- 1/2 lemon, cut into wedges
- To make marinade: Combine all ingredients in a nonreactive small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- To make crust: Combine all ingredients on a plate. Set aside.
- To make steaks: Place the tofu in a single layer in a nonreactive baking dish. Add the marinade and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain the tofu and set it on a paper towel to dry. Turn the steaks over and dry the other sides.
- Press each slice of tofu into the crust mixture. Be sure to coat both sides.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick or heavy cast-iron skillet over high heat. Place the tofu in the skillet and sear 1 to 2 minutes until golden brown. Turn the tofu over and repeat the process. After searing, remove the tofu from the pan. You can drizzle additional tamari or soy sauce over the tofu and add a squeeze of lemon before serving.
*Chili paste with garlic can be found in Asian stores.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 302
- Fat 20g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 578mg
- Carbohydrate 10g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 21g