Spicy Roasted Potato Salad
- Yield 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cucumber, peel partly removed in strips, seeded and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seeded, finely chopped serrano chiles
- In large sauté pan, heat oil. Add cumin seed, mustard seed, ginger, chili flakes and turmeric; sizzle about 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add potatoes and salt, toss to coat potatoes with spices.
- Transfer potatoes to sheet pan; roast in 400 degree oven about 30 minutes or until potatoes are golden and tender, stirring occasionally to brown potatoes evenly. In large bowl, combine potatoes with remaining ingredients. Serve warm or cold.
- Variation: Add 3/4 pound chicken breast strips to baking pan with potatoes. Cook in oven as directed.
Recipe courtesy of the United States Potato Board