Spicy Red Lentil and Chickpea Soup
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 20 minutes
- Cook 360 minutes
Pumpkin and paprika make this vegetable soup hearty, spicy and perfect for a fall day.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- -- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 12 ounces pumpkin, chopped coarsely
- 1 stalk celery, trimmed, sliced thickly
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 14 1/2 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oil in small frying pan; cook onion, garlic, and ginger, stirring, until onion softens. Add spices and chili; cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- Place onion mixture into 4.-quart slow cooker; stir in pumpkin, celery, lentils, chickpeas, undrained tomatoes, the water, and stock. Cook, covered, on low, 6 hours.
- Season to taste.
- Serve soup sprinkled with parsley.
Reprinted with permission from Delish Family Slow Cooker: Easy, Delicious Meals © 2012 by Hearst Communications, Inc., Photography by Ian Wallace.