Spicy Poppy Seed Potatoes with Green Chiles
- Yield 8 servings
Serve these spicy potatoes over sauteed kale or spinach. They also make a wonderful filling for wraps or quesadillas.
- 6 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or clarified butter
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, ground
- 1 medium jalapeno, Anaheim or poblano chili, minced
- 2 large Yukon gold or red bliss potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt, to taste
- Grind poppy seeds to a paste in a clean coffee mill or small food processor or blender.
- Heat oil in a skillet large enough to hold all ingredients. Add turmeric, chili powder and cumin. Saute 1 minute to expand flavor of dried spices. Add chili peppers, potatoes and water or broth. Stir well, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, uncovered, until potatoes begin to soften. Add poppy seed paste and stir well. Cook 5 minutes until poppy seeds thicken sauce and potatoes are fully cooked. Add cilantro, lime and salt.