Popcorn Chicken Po Boys with Citrus Remoulade
- Yield servings
- 1 pound package of pre cut stir fry chicken pieces (in the chicken section, not the frozen foods section)
- 1 pint buttermilk
- -- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 -- garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons sweet relish
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili sauce
- -- The juice of 1/2 lemon
- -- The juice of 1/2 lime
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 -- baguettes, cut in half, lengthwise
- -- Garnish: chopped chives
Cut the chicken pieces until they reach a size of about 1/2" by 1/2". Soak the chicken pieces in the buttermilk in a large zip-top plastic bag or a large bowl for at least two hours (best if done overnight).
Fill a large cast-iron skillet to a depth of 2 inches with oil and heat to a temperature of 325 – 350 degrees F. Combine the garlic salt, pepper, cayenne, and the flour, stirring well to combine. Remove the chicken pieces from the buttermilk and dredge through the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess. Fry the chicken pieces (in batches if necessary) in the hot oil until they are golden brown and crispy, about 3 – 4 minutes. Drain on a paper towel.
In a blender, combine the mayo, garlic, relish, capers, parsley, chili sauce, lemon and lime juices, and salt and pepper. Blend until the ingredients are well mixed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Coat the insides with a generous amount of the remoulade. Fill the bottoms of the baguettes with some of the shredded lettuce and then top the lettuce with popcorn chicken – enough to ensure that the rolls are filled but not overflowing. Drizzle a little more of the remoulade down over the tops of each sandwich and garnish with the chopped chives. Serve right away.