Thai Chicken Sandwich and Asian Slaw
- Yield: servings
- -- 3# boneless skinless thigh meat
- 2ounces fresh ginger julienned (wash, don't need to peel)
- 1/3cup Chinese rice wine (shioshing)
- 1/4cup dark soy sauce
- 1/4cup regular soy sauce (I use Kikomen)
- 3/4cup sugar
- Peanut Glaze
- 1/2cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3cup hoisin sauce
- 3tablespoons regular soy sauce
- 1/4cup seasoned gourmet rice wine vinegar. Or regular rice vinegar
- 1/4-- c sugar (omit if using seasoned gourment rice wine vinegar)
- 1/4-- c sriracha or hot chili sauce
- 2tablespoons sesame oil
- 1cup hot water
- Crisp Asian Slaw
- 1package of slaw vegetable mix (shredded not diced) If not available, then
- 10ounces shredded green cabbage
- 2ounces shredded red cabbage
- 1-- once shredded carrots
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2-- c seasoned gourmet rice vinegar
Preheat oven to 375, then broil.
Wash the chicken thighs and place in a bowl. Don't worry if there are residual water. Mix the marinade ingredients and pour it over the chicken. Mix well to ensure all coated with the marinade. Let it sit in marinade in refrigerator for at least one hour. Place chicken in a baking dish with 1 cup of the marinade. Cover with foil and bake for 15 -20 min. remove foil, Pour out most chicken marinade and reserve for later (see below). Turn oven to broil. Return chicken to the oven. Keep a close eye on the chicken. Chicken should have a slightly charred appearance on both sides. Turning the chicken pieces as necessary to ensure slight charring on both sides. Glaze with peanut glaze before removing the chicken from the oven. Remove chicken from baking dish and cut into slightly larger than bite size pieces. Mix the cut up chicken with more peanut glaze and set aside.
Reserved chicken marinade… put it in a sauce pan onto the stove. Thicken it with cornstarch solution. (1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water). Remove from stove and add 2 tbsp of Hoisin sauce and a drizzle of sesame oil.
Toast the burger buns.
To assemble, put chicken marinade glaze on the bottom bun, chicken, spicy peanut glaze, crisp Asian slaw, more spicy peanut glaze, top bun. Enjoy.